Bolton Masonic Hall
Bolton Masonic Temple
The Bolton Masonic Hall is the
home of True Blue Lodge G.R.C. #98 which was initiated in 1858 A.D.
The first home for this lodge was one of the upper rooms of the Masonic
Arms Hotel in that community, which hotel stood at the south-east corner
of the intersection of King Road and Queen Street (Highway #50). It
was used by the lodge for 16 years, until the property was sold by the
Having decided to erect their own
building, the structure was constructed by members of the Lodge in the
years from 1872 to 1876. Originally a frame building, it has since been
bricked to give it a more modern appearance.
While the exterior is modern, stepping
through the front door is like stepping back in time. The original nineteenth
century furniture is still in use. While there are a few hard-backed
wooden chairs in the "East", most of the seating is upholstered
benches, complete with the original fabric. A most magnificent ceremonial
Letter "G" hangs from the centre of the sanctuary. The walls
are finished in the original wallpaper, and since there is no daylight
in a Masonic lodge, that wallpaper is as fresh and the colours are as
bright, as they were 130 years ago. The walls also feature the original
banner of the Lodge presented to them when they were granted a Warrant
by The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada, and were known as "Western
Light Lodge #7 P.R."
Lodge meetings are held in the evening
on the 1st Friday of the month. To reach the Bolton Masonic Hall proceed west
on King Road one block from its intersection with Highway #50. Turn
south on Nancy Street.