Mount Albert Masonic Hall
Early meetings of the charter members of Rowland
Lodge took place in the print shop of R.H. Tinsdale. A former school Principal
in Mount Albert, Tinsdale became the first Master of the new Lodge when it was
instituted in 1928. In his shop they discussed the many topics involved in
setting up the new organization. At that time the United Church was merging two
local churches, the Presbyterians and the Methodists. The local Presbyterian
Church building was considered by the committee and purchased for $1,800.00
70 Main Street, Mount
One of the Lodge Brothers, Oscar Dike, was a
master carpenter and made all the furniture for the Lodge, including the Altar.
This facility served Rowland Lodge until 1945 when it became financially
attractive to sell the building and apply the proceeds to the construction of
the structure shown here. From the sale price of $4,500.00 the outstanding
mortgage of $1,800.00 was discharged, the lot at 70 Main Street was purchased. A
building located north of the community was purchased and moved to the new
location. Most of the labour and materials needed to complete the project were
supplied by the members. The building was dedicated on April 2, 1946.
An unexpected turn of events in 1988 led to the
acquisition of "new" furniture for the Lodge. The York Masonic Temple on
Millwood Drive Leaside was closing one of the two sanctuaries in their building
to allow for an extension to the building.
Master's Chair from York Temple
The furniture in this sanctuary was made available on rather short notice to Rowland Lodge. Their members removed it just before the arrival of the wrecking crew. The chairs and benches were massive, but were successfully transferred to Mount Albert. Close examination of this furniture reveals that it was probably upholstered three times, an indication that it is likely much older than was thought. It may well be it was originally from yet another Lodge, older than York Masonic Temple. Brother Dike's furniture was not discarded. It is still in the Lodge, in the ante-room of the Mount Albert Temple Sanctuary.